Penners

Michael Maclay gave a paper at a conference organised by the European
Thematic Network in Political Science in Leiden, July 1999. His paper can
still be accessed (http://www.epsnet.org/news/eurolei.htm). In it he
describes his own career up to that point (sketchily of course), the work
that his present company does (sketchily again, but read between the lines),
and how academic political scientists can break into this sort of work.
Another depressing tale of whoring, in other words.

Maclay begins by charting the decline of the study of politics:

"There is some room for education on technical and financial questions, but
politics increasingly is seen by these masters of the universe as being in
the same part of the library as Latin and history. In the oldish days, and I
am only going back about ten years, political science could be some sort of
a fast ticket to the nomenklatura. This was the case in France, to some
extent in Germany, in America, perhaps less in Britain than elsewhere. I
would say that the task now in the language of the new elites is to master
the networks and to access the niches. It doesn't work by the old
nomenklatura route any more."

He then continues by looking at the strengths of political science as a
discipline:

"For us outsiders, there are strengths as well as weaknesses in the way
political science seems to work as a discipline. You are good at exploring
fundamentals, in creating and interpreting the context of institutions and
events, and there is a greater need for that, I would submit, than ever.
This is a period of dizzy institutional innovation, both  in the private
sector and in the public sector. The ability of political scientists to
invent models and project them, to think laterally, is not actually as
common in the market as you might imagine."

Not only that, but negotiating the avalanche of information is essential:

"At the same time, in both corporate and government life, everyone is
suffering from information overload. There is more data around than ever,
thanks to the Net. Let us think of there being an information pyramid, with
the most obvious Internet data down below, the highest grade - intelligence
and wisdom - being up at the apex. There are a lot of newspapers, television
programmes, academic monographs, marketing reports in between. The challenge
for your discipline as for any other discipline is to try to feed in higher
up that pyramid. In Britain, our New Labour government is experimenting in
all sorts of interesting ways, constitutional and institutional. Quite
often, from my point of view, their task would be easier if they understood
their history a little better. I also have the feeling that, particularly in
their approach to Europe, they need more of the right sort of political
science. I will come back on that in a moment."

Maclay goes on to give an example of how good political science can make
itself heard and have effect:

"I worked in the 1980s on a British television current affairs programme
called Weekend World, which some of the Anglo-Saxon members of the audience
may remember. We pioneered a few techniques of using basically academic or
commercial material, to make political points: we exploited more rigorously
than the newspapers opinion polls, qualitative consultancy techniques and
focus groups to get at the way people thought about things. It won't
surprise any of the British academics among you to know that Peter Mandelson
was a central player in all of this."

New Labour, of course, is obsessed by all of these techniques cited by
Maclay. Weekend World was, from its inception, an unquestionably "political"
show, except that its politics tended to override those supposedly being
reported. In past posts I have referred to Peter Jay's doom-laden musings
back in the 1970s. On leaving for Washington as ambassador, he was replaced
by former rightwing Labour MP Brian Walden, who was another born-again
Thatcherite. A clever, learned man, Walden had, with some distinction, stood
up against electoral race-baiting in Birmingham in 1964, when another
rightwinger, Patrick Gordon-Walker, lost his seat as a result of a
disgusting campaign run by Peter Griffiths, who has only recently retired
from Parliament. His slogan was, "If you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote
Labour". (Incidentally, this little trip down Memory Lane is worth taking
given the current developments in some English cities and the ratcheting up
of the rhetoric by Home Secretary David Blunkett.) However, Walden had long
since given up his Left pretensions and had reached the conclusion, like
many others supposedly sympathetic to the left, like Bernard Ingham, Dick
Taverne, Richard Marsh, Reg Prentice, and Paul Johnson (to name only a few)
that "something had to be done", and that Thatcher was the one to do it. It
was Thatcher's placeman at the BBC, Marmaduke Hussey, who appointed Walden's
boss, John Birt, as director general of the BBC, effectively before the
retirement of his predecessor Michael Checkland, who was too tainted as a
BBC insider and associate of Alasdair Milne.

All of this is relevant as we chart the trajectory of Michael Maclay, and
recall earlier posts by Mark Jones regarding the struggle within the British
power elite over the status of Europe. The "mission to explain" types were
all favoured by Thatcher and her circle, until they became irrational (punk
Thatcherites) concerning the EU. But the importance of Europe to the
"mission to explain" types has remained, unaltered. If anything it has
intensified, and lies behind Maclay's purpose in addressing this august body
of European political scientists, as we shall see. Maclay expands on his
experiences at LWT:

"Much of the material we used came from political scientists who had been
sitting on marvellous stuff, far better than they realised; and they, for
whatever reason, had not managed to place it in context or to push it to the
limit of its real potential. Many of these academics, in being confronted
with our quite aggressive approach to their material, found it could work
well for them, they became collaborators consolidated their position as
political gurus. Others horribly disliked the lateral jumps we were making;
they saw this as vulgarising good academic material and never really made
their peace with our approach. And that is not to say  that they were wrong.
I would not presume to talk to you about what is scholarly and what is not;
we were vulgarising, we were using the material in a different way from what
was intended. Academic life has its own priorities and its own pace. But in
the context of capitalising on what your profession brings to the community,
it seemed to me quite a loss if this material did not
reach the public it could command. I am glad that the approaches we
pioneered were subsequently followed through, both by the more mainstream
media and by the political parties, of course latterly by New Labour - far
more successfully than by its rivals."

So how are political scientists and their students to take advantage of all
these opportunities? Maclay outlines three avenues:

"The first one is working directly for companies, for chairmen, for their
think-tanks, for board members who are looking at particular projects where
they know full well they are not going to find the resource or imagination
from within the company, from classic company men and women. There is one
chum I have got in London whose background is political science through and
through, and he is now the main speech-writer for the chief executive of one
of the big Anglo-Dutch companies. How does he carry that off? There is a
strong personal dimension to it, and a subset to that is the willingness
actually to be the servant of the Great Man, which sometimes does not come
naturally to an academic with his or her own self-respect. But there is a
market there; it is not a huge market, but it is a growing market and an
interesting one, and it is one offering scope to be entrepreneurial.
        "The second area that seemed to be the coming thing in the 1980s and
that faded somewhat is the business of political risk: risk analysis, risk
calibration. Many of you will know and might have worked for Oxford
Analytica. There is Control Risks which does a little bit of this sort of
thing. I had some direct experience in the 1980s of something called Global
Analysis Systems, GAS. This was an outfit that thought like Oxford Analytica
it could tap into academics ' downtime by capitalising on the fact that they
would write for lower rates than journalists but would do so with more
authority. The academics quite enjoyed it because they were able to write in
quite an academic way and it seemed to require more wisdom and experience
than up-to-the-minute reporting or evidence. It failed; it lacked the real
selling proposition of improving on journalism and being on top of events
from day to day rather than week by week. Oxford Analytica, which is much
more successful, has to be bang up-to the-minute to compete with outfits
like the Economist Intelligence Unit.
        "There is a third strand on which I can say a bit because Hakluyt,
the company I work for, is active in this area. It is founded on the very
entrepreneurial idea that there is a great deal of wisdom, knowledge,
evidence out there in the world, but pulling it together with rigour does
not happen so much. Just to sketch it out, what we do is we work for usually
big international corporations, who have their own people commenting and
recommending and actually on the job as operators, doing the business; and
senior executives quite often need a second opinion, which will go into the
politics and the personalities of what is going on. We work essentially in
emerging markets, but increasingly we have found that it is not only in
China, India or Vietnam, that there is not a level playing field in the
market; but on the fringes of Europe and even at its heart, it is not always
an entirely rational theory of market forces that determines who gets which
contract. In what we do, we are not consultants, we do not try to run
campaigns or strategies, but we provide information that consists of real
insights from people. We do not take anything off the shelf, nothing off the
Net - we assume that any company worth its salt has done all of that - but
we go with the judgement of people who know the countries, the elites, the
industries, the local media, the local environmentalists, all the factors
that will feed in to big decisions being made. In the four years that
Hakluyt has been going, it has been very successful, happily for us.
        "What we find is that journalists do this sort of thing extremely
well - it is closest perhaps to what they do; but we use politicians, we use
diplomats, we use business people. And we do use political scientists who
stay in close and regular contact with the countries they know. On any given
assignment, we will deploy a team of about five or six people, who will
usually be unknown to each other, who will be working discreetly and letting
us have reports that will be entirely their view based on what they see and
hear. Their analysis will not be prejudiced by whoever has commissioned us
or indeed by what Hakluyt itself might think; but we will get an honest read
from different points of view which we then pull together into our own
rather stern editorial product. There are some countries in which, but for
the good political scientists we have on our books, we would be much less
able to do the job. This is an area that I suspect is going to grow, and it
will be entirely personally and entrepreneurially driven. Again, networks
and niches, not nomenklatura."

We have encountered Control Risks before, when we discussed retired UK
General Michael Rose's colonialist tactics for Colombia, and which were very
much an example of the colonialist logic employed by Suharto and Wiranto in
East Timor, with the sudden emergence of "militias" which kidnapped
civilians and are still holding many hostage in West Timor at present.
Suharto, of course, was a beneficiary, however indirect, of General Walter
Walker's campaign against Sukarno and his Communist allies.

Now Maclay gets to his punchline: his current preoccupation.

"Now my final word on Europe, since I was very interested in the remarks
that were made before. This does seem to me one of the great market gaps:
for thinking that is genuinely innovative, and does not simply reflect the
concerns of vested interests in governments, political parties or the
institutions of the EU itself. New thinking is necessary to generate ideas
that will be saleable to ordinary people, and this requires something other
than the rather condescending expert-speak of the politicians and the
apparatchiks. I will leave you with this thought: if economic and monetary
union suggests or requires a degree of political union which we have never
seen before among sovereign states, what forms might this political union
take, given the continuing vigour and legitimacy of national political
cultures? Many of you might say: this sort of question is our bread and
butter, this is what we are doing all the time. But first of all, if
convincing answers to this question are around, they were very difficult to
find when I was in search of them on behalf of Ministers in the last British
government; and secondly, if they are indeed around, they need to be sold
better. I would love to see political scientists finding a way of being more
influential within this niche, so that at least in our domestic British
debate, where good ideas are in desperately short supply,  the Eurosceptics
do not continue to call the tune."

As Mark Jones suggested back in May, this issue is also preoccupying
Maclay's former colleagues in the Foreign Office (inc. MI6), and is
certainly a hot topic in Downing Street and New Labour's HQ at Millbank.

Michael Keaney
Mercuria Business School
Martinlaaksontie 36
01620 Vantaa