G'day also,

Thanks to Rob for the summary of J. Galbraith' propositions.

There are some parts that I sincerely do not understand very well (e.g. what
Rob or James mean with "Keynesian managed globalization" -did such a thing
ever existed?). Anyway, I do not feel obliged to 'interpret' or 'explain" J.
Galbraith, even if he is a fellow of the Levy Institute.

Since Rob asks, I guess I could say something about the tax cut. When we
(Wynne & I) argue that a tax rebate could help postponing a technical
recession, we say it in the framework of a 'three-sectors' macroeconomic
analysis of the US economy, by which there must be a driven force from the
demand side to allow for economic growth. If such a force has been primarily
(particularly since 1992) the private sector, AND the private sector
expenditure pattern is reverting (at last, and too late, according to our
analysis), THEN  a reversion of the public sector balance in the opposite
direction would help.

If, in some months or years to come the public sector cuts expenditures at a
faster rate than it relaxes taxation, the overall effect would be
recessionary. In our paper we indeed argue that either exports must grow
faster than imports, or the public sector would need to move to a deficit
level of 6% of GDP! The latter (alone) seemed to us 'implausible'. Less
unlikely, but not highly probable either, would be a sort of worldwide
coordinated reflation.

In any event, J. Galbraith is, IMO, right in stating that if behind a tax
cut there comes a sharper cut in expenditure, it would make the tax cut
futile. What we have used in our model is the CBO published documents up
until beginning June, and we accounted for tax and expenditure changes that
were incorporated then. We did not want to speculate on different budget
proposals, simply because we did not know.

regards,

Alex