At 06:09 PM 10/02/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>.  It was also very hard (Martin Guerre aside) to pretend to be
>someone else - nowadays, anything that depends on computers and cards can be
>wrong or forged, and difficult to find, check, disprove and correct.

Recently, there's been a rash of "identity theft," in which the thieves
pretend to be someone else, using their credit cards, etc., exploiting the
computerized information.

It seems to me that the computerized info is much easier to use against
individuals than it is to use it for them. It's hard to get incorrect
information out of one's credit record.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] & http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~JDevine