At 01:22 PM 10/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Peter, Jim, or anyone -
>
>In the NK lit, why doesn't the change in productivity associated with
>the higher wage cause a shift in the Ls curve?
>
>Mat

I'm no expert, but the change in productivity associated with the higher
wage refers to the demand-for-labor curve. It's either a movement along the
curve (the Marginal Product of Labor must be higher to justify hiring a
more expensive worker) or a shift of the curve (the "efficiency" wage
hypothesis, in which both the AP and MP of labor rise because of greater
worker motivation, etc.)

On the supply side, a higher wage would evoke a higher quantity of labor
supplied (a movement along the supply curve). If we're talking about the
economy as a whole, the increase in quantity of labor supplied would be nil
(at least in reasonable versions of NC economics). It would not shift the
supply-of-labor curve.

Of course, I don't believe in the theory presented above. Some other time,
I'll give my take on this issue.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine