I would say the relevant test in this context is whether
the product kept flowing to customers at prices that
covered production costs.  The California crisis is
clearly an example of consumptis interruptis, but no
role of Enron's bankruptcy in that crisis has been
raised, as far as I know.  So I see no downside in
the Enron affair as far as market failure is concerned.
Whether it was overhyped by some conservative
commentators is another matter.

If I was looking around for market failure, my first
impulse would be on concentration and the restricted
output, high prices, and inequitable distribution of rents
associated with them.  Also up there would be the
proliferation of external costs and failure of government
to deal with them.

mbs

Max, nicely clear statement, isn't there another issue here?  Enron
supposedly "proved" that market forces were superior to government
regulation.  It could create low prices for consumers and lush profits for
investors.   Michael Perelman