>Devine, James wrote:
>
>>Rakesh writes: >Doug H and Fred M have both argued that spike of
>>profit rate (as conventionally measured) especially in the 90s was
>>a result influx of foreign capital, which reduced borrowing costs. <
>>
>>I missed this. I don't know what Doug and Fred argue here, but I
>>think Marx's theory that the profit rate is determined
>>independently of -- and largely constrains -- the interest rate is
>>a good one. Since I see the profit rate as determined by
>>accumulation, technological change, class struggles, etc., I don't
>>see how a temporary spike in interest rates could determine the
>>profit rate. BTW, the profit rate I use has both interest and
>>non-interest profits in the numerator.
>>JD
>
>I missed that too. I think the reason for the rise - it was much too
>long and extended to be a "spike" - in the profit rate from 1982-97
>was the result of wage cuts, speedup, quicker turnover time,
>outsourcing, etc. etc. Most of the things in Marx's "countervailing
>factors" were in play, and successfully.

why not cheaper circulating capital, raw materials in particular--as
Prabhat Patnaik argues? of course that makes us think out of the
national box; maybe if capital is a global social relation, a
national rate of profit has no more significance as to the state of
the system as a whole than would the profit rate in global shoe or
oil industry.

am i wrong that you have often said that much, if not most, of the
increase in the profit rate as you were measuring was the result of a
decline in interest costs?

Rakesh