At 05:09 PM 1/3/2002 -0600, you wrote:

>Alan Cibils wrote:
> >

> > However, I think the people have got a taste of their own power in recent
> > weeks (two presidents and a finance minister ain't bad!)
>
> >From what I have read, the "puebolo" was prepared to support Saa, and it
>was precisely that popular support that moved two powerful "Peronist"
>governors to refuse even to attend a conference he had called. Otherwise
>this Alan's analysis seems convincing.
>
>Carrol

Rodriguez Saa said a lot of the things people wanted to hear: default on
debt, minimum wage, job creation. However, it is well known here that
Rodriguez Saa is quite corrupt (he has become unbelievably rich in his many
years as governor) and he has also been involved in several scandals of
repression of journalists investigating his wealth. Still, if he delivered
the goods on the economic front, maybe he would have been tolerated.

The problems with Rodriguez Saa, according to most of the protesters who
participated in the cacerolazo against him were: the naming of corrupt
Menem era people to his cabinet, and the upholding of the clamp on people's
bank deposits. The lack of support from the peronist governors finally did
him in.

I think that there were two fundamental issues in Rodriguez Saa's decision
to quit:

1)  Internal struggles within Peronism: Peronist primarys have always been
bloody (literally). There are many "presidenciables" (potential
presidential candidates) within peronism, and none wants to relinquish
whatever chance they think they might  have. I think this will even affect
the current president (Duhalde) as the days or weeks go by.

2) Peronists don't seem to have understood the message from the people in
the streets (or don't care to understand it). People were very clear that
they wanted an end to the economic model, and an end to political business
as usual. In other words, none of those who think they might be
presidential candidates within peronism (or most other parties, for that
matter) would make a satisfactory president. However, Peronists took the
protests to mean that now it is their turn, when that was very clearly not
the message in the streets. Certainly Duhalde with his Menemist background,
and multiple corruption scandals doesn't fit the bill. The question is
whether he will deliver on the economic front and whether he will have a
relatively clean and transparent administration. The moment he is percieved
to slip on either front, he might suffer the same fate as De la Rua and
Rodriguez Saa.

Alan