Roman mentioned absolute vs. relative surplus value.  That is indeed the
key to discussing Social Democracy.  If the capitalists need to rely on
brute labor to produce their commodities -- where workers have no
discretion -- then Social Democracy will not have much of a payoff.  In
this sense, Rakesh is definitely correct.

If however industry relies on workers' skills and discretion, then SD
will work better.

Doug sent a URL for Krueger and Mas's article on Bridgestone-Firestone
showing that the harsh treatment of the workers may have been
responsible for the defective tires.  That story is relevant here.

Rakesh says that SD will not work in the long run.  Nobody here said
that it would.  It resolves some contradictions, which, as is the case
in capitalism, create others in its train.  Neither SD nor
Pinochet/Reagan capitalism is a final answer.

This brings us back to the discussion that set off the thread on
crises.  Capitalism has proven resilient and has withstood a number of
shocks over the centuries.  Marx wanted revolutionaries to act as
midwives, but the gestation period has been longer than he predicted.
Our challenge, then, is more difficult than he expected.

Finally, I am learning from the discussion.  Thanks to all concerned.
--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department