Ellen writes,
> Isn't this ceding too much to the "double-taxation" position.
> I mean yes it' true that the thrifty brother will pay more income
> tax than his twin, but he will also earn more income (the interest on
> saving in addition to the original income) than his twin.

I agree with you Ellen.

But the double-tax perspective--which I'm trying to understand--seems to
rely on the claim that the interest income is NOT truly income. They seem to
claim that the interest earnings merely reflect the fact that a dollar next
year is worth less than a dollar today.

They use the interest rate to "discount" future income. This cancels out any
interest payment as income.

That is, I think that's the argument.

Eric