Jim D wrote,
> I think it's important to remember that the phrase "the real world" is
> redundant.

I guess this depends on one's epistemology, but I don't want to start any
discussion about epistemology. Pen-l seems to have a lot on its plate now.
;>)

> Also, isn't it more accurate to say tht math models can clarify one's
> thinking about "possible mechanisms and connections" instead of allowing
> them to be discovered? The discovery seems to be a
> pre-mathematical stage of the analysis.

I think that both things can happen but I that sometimes that discovering
stuff with a math model can be more interesting than clarifying one's
thinking.

Having said that, the math work I'm doing now fits into the latter approach
(clarifying)..

Eric
.