Title: Re: [PEN-L:23827] Re: Re: Re: Re: Marx vs. Roemer

> >"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras
that all
> >things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying,
even
> >downright silly.
> >
> >When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras
that
> >all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently
true."  (N.
> >Weiner)
====================

Um, the GUI wasn't invented until after Weiner was dead so the
above seems of dubious origin.

I don't remember the origin of that quote.
Ma se non e vero e ben trovato

"The space-time continuum? Even continuum existence itself?
Except as an idealization neither the one entity nor the other
can make any claim to be a primordial category in the
description of nature." [John Wheeler]

Ian

But can nature be "described" without mathematics?
And are any "natural" entities needed to "describe" arithmoi?
If the answer to both questions is negative,  which then is "primordial?"

Shane