I've known Giulana Milanese, an organizer for the CNA (met
her after she left the CPUSA for the CofC/CCDS) for over a decade.
Great organizer, wonderful person. Warm, smart, savvy. And she's
never said I was a red-baiter. Hmm., wonder why? Plus, she works
well with Michael Lighty, from DSA, another CNA staffer. As does
Carl Bloice, from the CCDS, formerly in the CPUSA.
Michael Pugliese

United
>Steelworkers are launching a new union to organize health care
workers
>across the United States, leaders of the two organizations told
BNA
>March 11.
>
>The union will work to organize nurses and other health care
workers,
>mainly in states where the Steelworkers union already has a
strong
>presence, USW President Leo Gerard said. Pennsylvania, Ohio,
Minnesota,
>Illinois, and northern Indiana are likely targets of the organizing
>efforts.
>
>The new organization does not yet have a name, but will be a
separate
>union with links to both CNA and USW, Gerard and CNA Executive
Director
>Rose Ann DeMoro said.
>
>The launch of the new union expands an alliance that CNA and
USW formed
>one year ago, which has provided a structure for them to work
together
>to organize health care workers. Under the alliance, CNA organizes
>registered nurses and USW organizes ancillary health care and
service
>workers (15 LRW 307, 3/15/01).
>
>Few health care workers in the Midwest and steel-producing states
are
>represented by unions, Gerard said. Many of those workers come
from
>families that have worked in the steel industry. "There is not
a lot of
>health organizing going on there," he said.
>
>Gerard, in Sacramento to speak to 350 nurses attending a CNA
conference,
>told BNA that USW and CNA signed the addendum to their alliance
>agreement March 11, signaling the beginning of the launch.
>
>In the year that the alliance has been in place, CNA negotiated
>contract for 125 nurses at a hospital in the San Francisco Bay
Area that