Although in code, further evidence of the sharpness of the conflicts
between the USA and Europe.

While Bush lets Sharon strip Arafat naked of virtually everything but the
clothes he stands up in, Solana, former head of Nato during the Kosovo war,
signals through his spokeswoman that Arafat remains for Europe the
responsible representative of the Palestinian people.

The British foreign office typically straddles the two continents, but its
statement is also consistent with the European position, since it knows
from Northern Ireland that terrorism cannot be defeated by military means.

Meanwhile Bush is sympathising with a regime of full occupation, and terror
against all Palestinians willing to resist militarily or by terroristic
means. Yet Wesley Clark, inteviewed on CNN last night, said that all war
game models of this sort of confrontation end up with the protagonists
negotiating.

Europe is right about the management of conflict. But even more a lot of
money is at stake: the GNP of the islamic world. Europe will continue to
fight more assertively against the USA. Only the nature of globalisation
require its methods of fighting to be muted.

Chris Burford

London