I agree with the thrust of this, Max.  You have to be pretty pure and
very lonely to be a proper lefty by some lights.  But, I'd argue that
Smith reckoned the good social effects would only come if the
self-seeking business fraternity were very closely watched by state
agencies, else they'd nefariously combine towards bad social effects.  I

mbs:  quite right.

have heard such sentiments from Nader in the past.  Now he's saying the
state agencies are nefariously combining with the self-seeking
businessmen, isn't he?  That pretty well matches Jim Devine's recent
musings on the state, as I recall.  And Jim's plenty left for me.
Cheers,
Rob.

mbs:  Nader's focus is not on the state but on the political
parties which run the state, which is the right one IMO.

The distinction from Smith is that Smith expects a great deal
of social good to come from competitive markets (to be sure,
with a limited state to enforce contracts and the like),
whereas populists expect a great need for remedies to
markets from the state, acting in the name of "the whole people."
You could say populists, not being marxists, saw markets as
something sullied by outside forces -- monopolists, sharp
operators, etc. -- but that is not the thing as being
deluded as to the possibility of marked-based economic
justice.

mbs