Unfortunatetly, quoting of the "butcher and baker" passage out of
context is exactly what the 1980s Adam Smith tie-wearing Reaganite
Gordon "Greed is Good" Gekko types did to promote the idea of Smith as
an unabashed promoter of self-interest.  A. L. Macfie's The Individual
in Society (and his and other's work in the modern school of Scottish
Political Economy, such as D. D. Raphael, Andrew Skinner, Ronald Meek)
and also Heilbroner's papers "The Paradox of Progress" and especially
"The Socialization of the Individual in Adam Smith" are good antidotes
for this.  Of course, so is reading The Wealth of Nations with Smith's
Theory of Moral Sentiments and Lectures on Jurispridence!

Now, there is no doubt that in the TMS, Smith explicitly criticized
those who view self-interest as the source of all 'affections and
sentiments' as
suffering from 'some confused misapprehension of the system of
sympathy.'
And that, for Smith, 'sympathy' (what we today call empathy) is the
"effective cement of society".  So, if one argues that self-interest is
the prime motivator for Smith in the WN, then they must be arguing for
the old 'Das Adam Smith problem'--that the two works are inconsistent.

There is now widespread general agreement that the view that Smith
"changed his mind" between the two works and the two works are
inconsistent has little evidence to support it.

Macfie, argues that when Smith's notion of empathy is combined with the
reason of the 'impartial spectator' (something like 'conscience'), the
result is a "rational sympathy" (or "sympathetic reason"), from which
arise the social codes and rules of behavior necessary if "*proper* self
regard" is to benefit the community.

The analysis goes on... The upshot is that self-interested behavior
*may*
result in socially desirable outcomes *if* it is moderated by
self-control
and socially responsible adherence to other social rules and codes of
behavior (Smith's 'self-command' and 'sense of duty'). Thus, the _Theory
of Moral Sentiments_ lays out the institutional framework necessary for
'society of perfect liberty' (not to be confused with perfect
competition) and the _Wealth of Nations_ assumes that framework in its
discussion of the 'self-interested' economic actor. In Heilbroner's
terms, TMS is about the 'socialization of the individual' and WN is
about the consequences of socialized individual action within the
institutional framework of a 'society of perfect liberty'. Excessive
greed is socially undesirable. As a NY Times piece put it a couple years
ago, "Adam Smith ain't no Gordon Gekko."