[was: RE: [PEN-L:24983] Bureaucracy (speculative rant alert)]

I wrote: >>In leftist theory, "democratic centralism" refers to the
organization of the  revolutionary political party. The theory says that
when a party's membership decides on a policy (a line, a program) it is
binding on members of that party, including its leadership. Though they may
disagree with it at party forums, they should not do so openly, when
non-party people are  around. <<

CB:>By and large, we can be more specific than "leftist theory" , and
attribute "democratic centralism" to Leninist theory.  <

It's from Lenin, but much of what's been written on "democratic centralism"
comes from his epigones (Stalinists, Trotskyists, etc.), who are within the
broad tradition of Marxism.  A lot of it also came from Kautsky, from whom
Lenin learned his stuff (see WHAT IS TO BE DONE?)

The phrase "Leninist theory" is quite ambiguous since it is a contested
theory (even more than Marxist theory), with Lenin's epigones fighting over
it. Even Lenin himself did not follow a consistent theory all through his
career (see, for example, Tony Cliff's multi-volume book on Lenin). It's
unclear that such a dynamically changing vision can or should be distilled
into an "ism."

In retrospect, it was a major mistake by 20th century revolutionary leftists
to attach too much prestige to any single individual, including Lenin. (It
was probably a mistake to do this to Marx, too. The poor old guy must roll
in his grave every time his name is invoked.)

CB: >On the other hand, Lenin's theory of democratic centralism can be
generalized beyond the specific Bolshevik situation as a way of analyzing
and organizing the relationship between the working class masses and its
leadership whereever the class struggle is hot, as in Venezuela.<

"Democratic centralism" has always referred to a mode of party organization,
not to a mode of analysis. You can stretch the meaning of this phrase if you
want to (as academics so often do), but it makes it incoherent to me and to
most other people.

>>Though there are likely organizations in Venezuela that are organized in a
"democratic centralist" way, the mass demonstrations in favor of Chavez
don't fit that description unless they are simply as part of a party. It
looks to me instead that there's a lot of "spontaneity" going on. That is,
people were demonstrating in favor of Chavez because they liked him, not
because they belonged to a party-type organization. The Bolivarist
organization did not simply orchestrate the anti-coup movements. (Of course,
if my facts are wrong, I'd like to be told.)<<

CB:> It is highly unlikely that the response of the overwhelming numbers of
workers and of the soldiers who remained loyal to Chavez was essentially
spontaneous. It evidenced a high level of consciousness.<

I didn't say "politically unconcious." In fact, I put the word "spontaneity"
in quotes for a reason, because "spontaneity" is a vague and confusing
concept. Rather, what I was saying was that much of the opposition to the
coup came _from below_ (based on the short- and long-term class and national
interests of those participating) rather than being orchestrated by the
Bolivarist or any other organization.

CB:>The organization of the Bolivarists in the poor neighborhoods has been
reported for years before these events. This is most likely precisely an
example of CONSCIOUS , emergency struggle by masses led by a party as Lenin
discusses it in _What is to be done ?_, as opposed to spontaneous struggles
such as rebellions/riots in U.S. cities over the last 40 years, and the
consciousness demonstrated by the workers and soldiers is most likely the
result of prior party work and democratic centralist methods.<

It's important to remember that the Bolivarist movement did not spring
full-blown from the head of Chavez. It also is part of the movement _from
below_ mentioned above and discussed below. It did do a lot of organizing
work. But we should also remember that most Latin American countries have
not undergone the kind of sometimes-deliberate atomization that the U.S.
African-American community has. (Here in L.A., it seems that wherever there
was a prosperous middle-class black neighborhood, a freeway would be built
or there'd be "urban renewal" of some other sort.) That is, there were
strong kinship, religious, and community networks that existed before the
Bolivarists came along.

>> BTW, in practice, most "democratic centralist" organizations end up not
being democratic. The rank and file end up being manipulated by the central
committee or its leader, i.e., end up being passive followers  rather than
active, democratic, participants.  <<

> CB:  Most ? Do you have stats on this ?This is a  standard anti-democratic
centralist claim and opinion. <

it is also an accurate description of the vast majority of so-called
Leninist (Stalinist and Trotskyist) party organizations _in practice_ -- and
also applies to social democratic and a lot of other types of political
groups.

No I don't have any stats. How 'bout this: is there anyone on pen-l who has
had experience with a self-styled "democratic centralist" organization in
which the leadership remained democratically subordinate to the members?

that's enough for today.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine