Louis:

> For the
> foreseeable future, places like Argentina and Venezuela are on the
> front lines. In places such as these, anti-imperialist consciousness
> will fuel the proletarian revolution just as it did in Vietnam, Cuba,
> China and many other countries where victory was not achived.

The main advantage held by revolutionaries in Russia in 1917, China in the
1940s, Cuba and Vietnam in the 50s was class consciousness and/or the
opposition of weak/unpopular states. What they did not have were the fully
developed capitalist economies which would have ensured the long term
success of their revolutions.

> I wouldn't compare what
> happened in Australia to what happened to Nicaragua, however.

Me either.

> The USA
> could have lived with a Labor government in Australia. It was on the
> other hand ready to break laws and risk a constitutional crisis to
> topple a government that it feared would become another Cuba.

You have correctly identified the percieved threat to important US
satellite/communications bases (e.g. Pine Gap, Nurrungar and North West
Cape) as the main reason why the US state wanted rid of Whitlam. His
government was also a direct threat to accumulation by US companies; there
were strong left nationalists in his cabinet who were committed to
nationalisation of mineral/petroleum ressources owned by US companies. There
were other reasons as well, such as Whitlam's embarrassment of Nixon's
foreign policy (e.g. unilateral withdrawal of Australian troops from Vietnam
and his criticism of US foreign policy generally.)

> In a letter to Marx, dated October 7, 1858, Engels wrote: "...The
> English proletariat is actually becoming more and more bourgeois, so
> that this most bourgeois of all nations is apparently aiming
> ultimately at the possession of a bourgeois aristocracy and a
> bourgeois proletariat alongside the bourgeoisie. For a nation which
> exploits the whole world this is of course to a certain extent
> justifiable."

> In a letter to Kautsky, dated September 12, 1882, Engels wrote: "You
> ask me what the English workers think about colonial policy. Well,
> exactly the same as they think about politics in general. There is no
> workers' party here, there are only Conservatives and
> Liberal-Radicals. and the workers gaily share the feast of England's
> monopoly of the world market and the colonies."

What these quotes do not show is that Marx's view, especially at the end of
his life, was very long term. English wage labourers in 1858 were --- apart
from Australia and other settler societies --- the best paid working class
in the world. English workers benefited directly from the economic growth
driven by formal/military imperialism and directly from cheap consumer goods
produced overseas. These things could hardly lend themselves to
revolutionary class consciousness. But the end had to come and it did. No
one could say in 2002 that class consciousness or pauperisation is absent in
England.

Regards,

Grant.