A book I just bought, "Perceptions of Palestine, " by Kathleen Christison,
University of Ca. Press, 1999, has this footnote. Pg. 316, fn. #29, "The
original quote-, 'A country without a nation for a nation without a country, "-
came from Lord Shaftesbury in 1839. (Michael W. ) Suleiman Palestine and the
Palestinians in the mind of America, " in, "U.S. Policy from Wilson to Clinton,
" Normal, Illinois, American Asociation of Arab-American University Graduates,
1995.
Michael Pugliese