>CB: On this issue, what about the fact that fascism _was_ defeated by the
>Popular Front.

<Do you mean the Allies? I wouldn't exactly call the military alliance
<between Stalin and Churchill and Roosevelt a Popular Front. It was a
<military alliance between sovereign nations. For that matter, I saw it as
<eminently principled for Stalin to have signed a non-aggression pact with
<Hitler (despite the costly illusions that arose out of this.)

<Louis Proyect
<Marxism mailing list: http://www.marxmail.org

I agree. The difference between the response of the communist in the
imperialist countries and the communist in the countries under attack by
aggressive fascism demands somewhat different strategy and tactics.  Mr.
Stalin was faced with a specific world alignment and basically made the right
calls. If one understood the Popular Front to mean surrender to the
bourgeoisie, then that is on you. Why surrender anything to the bourgeoisie?

Melvin P.