[was: RE: [PEN-L:25943] Re: Protectionism US style]

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Joseph Stiglitz was quoted as saying:
> Many of America's problems are made in USA. America's deteriorating
fiscal position is leading to a strong dollar, just as the deteriorating
fiscal position of the US after Reagan's irresponsible tax cut of two
decades ago did.<

Michael Pollack writes:>Theoretically speaking, how does a deteriorating
fiscal position lead to a strong dollar?<

The idea is that a rising government deficit implies growing government
borrowing, which implies rising interest rates (cet. par.), which attracts
short-term capital funds to dollar-denominated asseets (assuming that
interest rates in other currencies don't change), which raises the exchange
rate of the dollar. I don't think that this is a big part of 2001 or 2002's
rising dollar. Especially the latter's since the dollar has begun to peak or
fall.

> And as a statement of fact, isn't this future progressive tense --
implying that the dollar will get stronger from here on -- a little
questionable just right now?<

yup. Bush's deficits are extremely small potatoes compared to Reagan's. I'd
put more weight on the (still) overvalued US stock market attracting funds
from abroad and the safe haven effect. Also, high consumer and, to a lesser
extent, corporate borrowing have also encouraged a high dollar. The private
sector has been running a deficit that's much more serious than the
government's, since the US government seems unlikely to go bankrupt in the
near future (to say the least) while private entities can go bankrupt in
droves. [Stiglitz seems to be clinging to the balance-the-budget Treasury
view, despite his heterodoxy on other issues.]

But the endless War On Evil (WOE!) might lead to permanent government
deficits that are seen by the money-speculators as justifying not only high
long-term interest rates but a high dollar. Which means that the WOE is
being financed the old-fashioned way, borrowing from overseas.

I've mentioned this before, but recently the US has switched from having a
GNP greater than its GDP (due to receipt of income from abroad) to the
opposite. The deviations are not large, but symbolic of a significant role
reversal.

JD