G'day Diane,

Timely article, comrad; this is going to be very big, I'm afraid.  I do
note though that the otherwise worthy article appended fails to remind
us that in both Malawi and Zimbabwe (and probably others - I just don't
know about those) the IMF is at the root of it.  And directly.

There's nought new in droughts.  Southern Africa has long profound
droughts once every two decades or so these days.  What's new now is
that in the early nineties, the IMF restructuring suits moved in and
demanded the government empty the reserve granaries.  Apparently their
very existence was upsetting the price mechanism.  Millions of tonnes of
food (roughly the amount now needed to avoid a famine by late October)
duly got disappeared.

And now they have their price mechanism.

A fat lot nature cares ...

Cheers,
Rob.

MALAWI