This may be a stupid question, but does anyone of the esteemed
economists on the list know where I would find a systematic and
rigorous analysis of "information as a commodity" ? I just read
Michael Perelman's book about class warfare in the information age,
which contains a lot of very valid points which I had not thought of
so precisely before, but I want to delve deeper into it, which is what
a writer like Perelman really invites you to do. I thought perhaps
somebody has already written a profound analysis of it. I recall
vaguely that Kenneth Boulding wrote a piece on "information as a
commodity" but wondered if somebody else had not gone much deeper into
it.

It strikes me that informationn is a peculiar commodity because its
use-value and exchange value can vary enormously in a very small
interval of time, and often you cannot tell what its true value is
beyond what its supplier asks for it or what the buyer is prepared to
pay. Different types of information commodities do appear to have some
kind of regulating price but it is not a clear-cut production price.
Questions also arise about the real subsumption of information under
specifically capitalist relations, the extent to which this can be
accomplished given that crucial information often resides in people's
heads, and that bourgeois society generally accepts that one's body is
one's private property. It may be very difficult to assert private
property rights to information, and so on. Information which spreads
rapidly to the masses of the people loses its exchange-value rapidly
and so on.

The issue is also related to the question of capitalistically
productive labour. Marx never really specifies exactly the region of
capitalistic commodity production within which productive labour is
performed. All he really does on the subject is to say that the
division of labour is more and more modified to bring it into
conformity with the specifically capitalist method of production,
regardless of whether this is healthy for human beings or economically
rational from an overall perspective. From this we get the long-run
"law of motion" that capitalism transforms more and more labour into
capitalistically productive labour.

All we really get from Marx about the concept of the commodity itself
however is the idea that the commodity has a value, an exchange-value
and a use-value. The value is abstract labour, the exchange-value is
expressed in money sums and prices, and the use-value resides in the
physical properties a commodity has (not its utility in the    eyes of
the consumer(s), Marx has in mind an objective social use-value
existing independently of individual consumers).

We can further elaborate by saying the commodity must be able to be
exteriorised or externalised, it must be able to have an independent
existence and be separable from the owner or producer. Also, it must
be possible to apply private property rights to the given use-value,
somebody must be able to own it and be able to trade it. This means
that there are many use-values such as maybe "air" which are difficult
to convert into a commodity, all you can really do is designate "air
space" and regulate emissions into the air etc. (even here there are
problems, such as Bill Rosenberg pointed out with his example of sheep
farting and belching).

The question then arises, is Marx's conception of market economy
really adequate, or does it not really fully capture what commodity
production is about ?
To what extent can information really be a commodity, or is it a
fictitious or fiducary commodity ? We could find some interesting
paradoxes, relating for instance to whether the information in
somebody's head is a commodity or not, and under what circumstances.
Could it be that information economics decisively changes the way we
think and act about commodity production and the division of labour ?
How does modern information technology change our concept of what it
means to engage in trade ? Is the live transmission of information a
commodity or is it only a commodity as a "package" with a price tag ?
What is the real "pathway" of the capitalistic development of
information economics, and what are the laws of motion of information
economy ? If all economy reduces to the economising of labour time, is
this still true in an information-rich economy, or do we have to apply
criteria such as the speed at which we can obtain the required
information in the required form, and transmit it to the appropriate
person at the appropriate time ?

This is the kind of stuff I am thinking of (I could write lots more
but haven't the time). Anyway if anybody can supply any references to
substantive literature on this topic I would be very grateful (I don't
mean the Manuel Castells type of stuff but real thinking about
information economics as related to the commoditisation of
information).

Thank you in advance,

Jurriaan