Let us not neglect the fact that the *Estate* tax
(there is no inheritance tax) collects about $30b
a year right now, so it isn't doing much in the way
of redistributing wealth.  What's more, regressive
loopholes in the income tax are huge compared
to Estate tax revenue.  I even surprized myself
when I did this:

http://www.epinet.org/webfeatures/snapshots/archive/2002/0417/snap04172002.h
tml

mbs