July 26, 2002
GE Capital to Split Into Four
By REUTERS

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Jeff Immelt, in his first major reorganization as chief of
General Electric Co.
(GE.N), on Friday tightened his grip on GE Capital and said he would split GE's
profit-driving
finance arm into four parts.

The shake-up includes the departure of GE Capital Chief Executive Denis Nayden and
will give
investors a clearer picture of the unit's operations and results, GE said.

GE Capital, which generates 40 percent of GE's earnings, will split into insurance,
commercial
finance, consumer finance and equipment units, each reporting to Immelt and Vice
Chairman Dennis
Dammerman. The change will take effect next Thursday.

``We've seen over the past few years management getting closer to GE Capital and this
continues that
process and formalizes it,'' said analyst Bob Young of Moody's Investors Service.
``Now Jeff Immelt
has four GE Capital guys reporting directly to him.''

MORE DISCLOSURE

Wall Street has been plagued by accounting scandals, and investors have complained the
conglomerate's finance arm does not give enough insight into how GE Capital makes its
profits.

Corporate disclosure is a hot topic on Wall Street after questionable accounting at
Enron Corp.
(ENRNQ.PK) and WorldCom Inc. (WCOEQ.O) pushed the companies into bankruptcy and led
investors to
lose billions of dollars as their stocks tanked.

GE's shares closed up $1.10, or 4.1 percent, at $27.80 in trading on the New York
Stock Exchange.

``This will create a clearer line of sight on how our financial services businesses
operate and
enhance growth,'' Immelt said in a statement. ``Our external reporting will mirror this
organizational structure, providing greater clarity for investors.''

GE, a wide-ranging conglomerate with a hand in everything from television stations and
lightbulbs to
washing machines and insurance, has drawn criticism for its sometimes oblique earnings
reports.

``We have mixed feelings about it,'' said Morningstar analyst Jonathan Schrader. ``We
are positive
if it allows for further disclosure on the GE Capital side...On the other hand,
whenever a high
level executive departs you have to be a little bit skeptical and it raises a red flag
that perhaps
there may be another shoe.''

But the reorganization is unlikely to have an immediate impact on the bottom line,
analysts said.

``This doesn't change the cost structure at all or change earnings a bit,'' said
Morgan Stanley
analyst Scott Davis. ``But it does simplify things for investors, which I think is a
positive.''

While future GE financial statements will include additional information on the GE
Capital units,
the company has not yet determined what information it would include, a GE spokesman
said. The
company has already been increasing disclosure since last year, he said.

IMMELT'S LEGACY

Immelt replaced legendary former CEO Jack Welch in September, just days before the
attacks on the
World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The attacks, coupled with the crisis of
confidence that has
crippled Wall Street, have helped shave 30 percent off GE's stock price since Immelt
took over and
led to questions about his ability to get out of Welch's shadow.toward carving out his
own legacy.
Welch was more focused on the industrial side of the business, achieving growth
through acquisitions
and cost-cutting, but Immelt recognizes that GE Capital will drive growth of the
company in the
future, Schrader said.

``The reason for doing this is simple -- I want more direct contact with the financial
services
teams,'' Immelt said.

The GE Capital spokesman said Immelt had been contemplating the move since he took
over, but the
reorganization was put on the backburner from fallout after the attacks of Sept. 11.

Nayden will leave to form his own financial services advisory company, but will also
remain as a
senior advisor to Immelt.

The reorganization will have no effect on the company's credit rating because it has
no immediate
impact on its finances, Moody's Young said. Standard & Poor's said the move would not
change its
ratings on GE.

GE Capital's bonds weakened on the restructuring. The 6 percent notes maturing in 2012
of the
largest U.S. corporate debt issuer now yield about 5.78 percent, or 1.4 percentage
points more than
U.S. Treasuries, up from 1.35 percentage points on Thursday.

Michael Neal will be in charge of commercial finance, David Nissen will lead consumer
finance,
Arthur Harper will run equipment management and Michael Fraizer will handle the
insurance group.

GE Capital was started in the 1930s during the U.S. Great Depression as a way to help
consumers
finance purchases of appliances, but has since grown to a diversified finance company
with about
$345 billion in assets.

GE Capital's earnings fell 10 percent in the second quarter, as it was hurt by
exposure to WorldCom
bonds and reported reinsurance losses, according to GE's earnings release earlier this
month.

``GE Capital is positioned for another year of double-digit growth,'' Immelt said.