Title: RE: [PEN-L:29861] Re: utopianism??

It's a nice academic distinction, but it doesn't work in practice. How one sets up a social organization of production affects how and what is produced. The relations and forces of production are unified, interpenetrate, and determine each others' character. So we can't separate the "bad utopianism" (figuring out how to get people to work together) from the "good utopianism" (figuring out how to save water, etc.) BTW, several of the 19th century utopians were pro-environment (e.g., William Morris).

BTW2, I'm in favor of limited utopianism, where it's treated as a subject for discussion and collective self-education rather than as a set-in-stone blueprint to be imposed. The utopians often have the same attitudes as the stereotyped Vanguardists: while the utopian says "here is my correct scheme for how to run society, so worship it, follow me, and stop thinking for yourself," the Vanguardist says "here is my correct Party Line or Program, so worship it, follow me, and stop thinking for yourself."

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine