Michael Perelman wrote:

>I don't think that there is a contradiction between Doug and Lou.  There
>are criticism's about the method of calculating unemployment -- the
>discouraged workers being excluded.  But such matters are transparent, not
>the result of skulduggery.
>
>On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 05:21:30PM -0400, Louis Proyect wrote:
>>
>>  >And, fevered claims to the contrary, they're not cooked by Enron-style
>>  >accountancy. The people who collect and process the U.S. jobs data are
>>  >honest, competent professionals. If anything, the political sympathies of
>>  >BLS employees are slightly to the left of center.
>>  >
>>  >Doug
>>
>>  I don't have time to delve into this question in any depth, but a five
>  > minute search on Lexis-Nexis turned up the following:

Well, damn, I only spend my life with this stuff, so I guess I'm at a
disadvantage not having just done a five minute Lexis search.

The reason we know how many discouraged workers there are - and how
many people are classified as "not in labor force - want job now"
(BLS series ID LFS73000000) - is because the BLS counts them and
publishes the data regularly. Ditto "part time for economic reasons,"
other measures of "marginal labor force attachment," and the
employment/population ratio.

Doug