In a message dated 10/21/02 8:33:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Shopping for a pair of shoes? Chances are that nimble Chinese hands
sewed them, along with nearly 80% of the footwear purchased in the
United States. That French provincial bedroom set on the showroom floor?
It's probably part of the $4.6 billion in furniture that China shipped
to the United States last year.

Computers? Factories in Dongguan, 50 miles north of Hong Kong, produced
37% of the world's disk drives and 10% of its computer monitors last
year -- not to mention tens of millions of scanners, printers and DVD
players.

Though many of China's exports are familiar Western brands, made in
factories owned or run by foreigners, home-grown Chinese enterprises are
making refrigerators, microwave ovens and high-definition televisions
for customers worldwide

I of course always enjoy our contributions.

Why is this article called "Chinese manufacturing" when we are in transition to a new mode of production?

I am not a pinprick but the era of manufacture preceded the industrial era - or rather, epoch. The transition from manufacture to industry was the context of the Civil War in America and the energy source that drove capitalist slavery - the slave, was displaced. China is undergoing industrialization and transition to a new mode of production simultaneously.

Stating this, it must also be stated that I have ulterior motives to unfold around spring of next year concerning the evolution of what Marx called the mode of production.

Peace

Melvin P.