Not to romanticize peasant life or traditional popular culture, but it seems to me
that in 1844 "non-working time" had a distinctive
character that marked it off as something other than merely not being at work. The
development of capitalism has included the
manufacture of a leisure time and "entertainment industry" that pathologically
complements working time in a such a way that the
worker no longer "feels himself only when he is not working." "Shopping" is the core
of this entertainment and is suspended from
both production and consumption. That is, one is not _using_ the commodity as per its
ostensive use value at the time when one is
shopping for it. Presumably the purchase is a symbolic prelude to the enjoyment of the
utility. But not necessarily and probably a
lot less than one would naively expect.

I suspect what I am trying to say is probably better explained in Oscar Wilde's The
Picture of Dorian Gray. I'd better read it
first, though, to be sure.

Tom Walker
604 255 4812