An assault on poverty is vital too
It's simple - we have to double aid to halve global suffering

Gordon Brown
Thursday February 13, 2003
The Guardian

In Africa the struggle that matters is the struggle for survival. With 14
million men, women and children in sub-Saharan Africa facing desperate famine
this month - and with only half of the urgently needed food aid available -
today's crisis threatens to become tomorrow's calamity.

The African famine underscores an even more momentous challenge: whether the
international community can join together to conquer the illiteracy, disease
and poverty that are endemic in the developing world. Terrorism and weapons
proliferation must be dealt with. But we must, at the same time, look beyond
conflict toward a secure peace. A world where some live in plenty while half
the human race lives on less than two dollars a day cannot, in the long run,
be either just or stable.

Two years ago, the world agreed to the UN millennium development goals -
ambitious targets to ensure that by 2015 every child has schooling; infant and
maternal mortality is reduced; and poverty halved. But already we are in
danger of falling short.

Consider the first of those goals: universal primary education. Today, more
than 115 million children do not go to school - 80 million in Africa alone.
Globally, 88 countries are projected to fail to meet our goal. Without new
money and a new plan the world will, once again, have set goals in principle
and then, in practice, failed to meet them - not because we were wrong-headed
in our intentions, but because we have been half-hearted in our actions.

Today, Clare Short and I launch our detailed proposals for an international
finance facility - a new mechanism to raise the money needed to address these
injustices. Its central principle is straightforward and reciprocal: in return
for anti-corruption measures and stable conditions for equitable and
sustainable economic growth in developing countries, the developed world will
raise aid from $50bn a year to $100bn - the sum needed if we are to meet the
millennium development goals.

In financial terms, the need is as pressing as it is profound. To halve
poverty, we must double aid. To place all school-aged children into school
will require a fifth of the additional $50bn. To begin to win the battle for
global health - including the fight against Aids - demands at least an
additional $12bn.

The proposed facility is the best means of putting this funding on a stable
footing for 2015 - leveraging long-term commitments from donor countries to
secure additional finance from international capital markets. For poor
countries the aid will be available when it is needed: now, in advance of
2015. Rich countries will have more than double that time - 30 years - to
repay their pledges.

Funds from the facility will be committed by the rich countries, so poor
countries will not accumulate new debt. Indeed, most of the additional aid
raised by the facility should be in the form of grants - making disbursements
not through new bureaucracy but through existing, effective bilateral and
multilateral mechanisms.

Our proposed facility cannot exist, let alone succeed, if churches, faith
groups, NGOs and business - as well as governments and international
institutions - do not demand its creation. And to achieve that, we must not
only convince governments to fund the facility but also persuade a sceptical
world that finance for development will not be wasted.

Too often aid, donated for the best reasons, has brought the worst results:
cash that lines the pockets of corrupt elites rather than food that lines the
stomachs of the starving. Too often the world has seen aid as recompense for
the injuries of the past and not, as it must become, investment in our shared
future. So by insisting on tough conditionality - on corruption-free regimes
that pursue stable, equitable and sustainable economic growth, and agree to
international monitoring of their poverty reduction plans - the success of aid
will be measured not in pounds spent by donors, but in the rates of growth and
poverty reduction achieved by recipients.

Throughout the developing world, promise sits side by side with the perils of
disease, war and desperate poverty. Relieving these conditions is not just in
the interest of the afflicted; it is in all our interest. The poorest and most
populous continents represent the world's next engine of economic growth -
future consumers and producers with enormous potential purchasing power
essential to the long-term growth of industry and trade.

So now is the time - for reasons of justice, altruism and simple enlightened
self-interest - for an unprecedented act of statesmanship by the world's
richest countries. Every bit as much as the poorest, we stand to gain in a
world more united, more just and more prosperous - a world that grows
together, rather than apart.

Gordon Brown is chancellor of the exchequer

[EMAIL PROTECTED]