Title: RE: [PEN-L:34787] What is wrong with the mainstream economics?

Lucy writes:>In my area of interest, criticising the mainstream trade theory is very easy. Both Ricardian and HOS models of comparative advantage theories suffer from many weaknesses and logical inconsistencies. I would expect similar criticisms of the other aspects of mainstream economics. So far, I have not seen a simple and robust criticism of the mainstream economics. <

have you seen Shaikh's Marx/Keynes-style contribution to trade theory (an emphasis on absolute advantage)? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. (it's at Anwar Shaikh, "The Laws of International Exchange" in Edward J. Nell, ed. _Growth, Profits, and Property: Essays in the Revival of Political Economy_ (Cambridge U.P., 1980), pp. 204-235.

Tom Palley's view of trade is also interesting (e.g., in his PLENTY OF NOTHING).

Jim