I can recall many similar instances of Lerner in the 1960s and 1970s.   However, the best story has to do with the time be took LSD, but I won't go into that.  Nevertheless, and for whatever his faults, he certainly has dedicated a life-time to political activism.
-----Original Message-----
From: Devine, James [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 6:21 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [PEN-L:34948] RE: Lerner and a split in San Francisco demo

Max asked me why I didn't know about this stuff... it's because I'm not an lbo-talker. Who has the time?

Speaking of Lerner, I once had a personal experience that makes me very leery of him, independent of his reputation as a personal empire-builder among many progressive Jews.* Back in the mid-1970s, I saw Lerner speak on Sproul Plaza at the University of California at Berkeley. He wore a suit and learnedly spoke at length about "surplus powerlessness," a concept that seemed related to surplus-value and Marcuse's surplus repression. The problem: there was no audience and he didn't even seem to have any supporters, even to set up the speakers, so it made him look totally bathetic.

*In one of the articles I saw on-line, David Corn refers to him as "_the_ progressive Jew" (his emphasis). C'mon! Isn't Noam Chomsky Jewish? aren't there lots of progressive Jews out there?

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine