Hi everyone.

I've decided to pop back on the list to follow up on my message that Jim
forwarded. I actually have a great deal of interest in this question and
I'm hoping some others here might find themselves in the same boat as me
and therefore also be interested.

My question was a bit open-ended because I was figuring that I'd have to
adapt my efforts to what's actually out there or what other people are
interested in rather than magically discovering that other people were
thinking precisely what I was or have identical interests.

My own interest stems from really two things:

(1) My students get ripped off for text books.  This has always been a
gripe, but it seems to me in the last ten years, with text book prices
rising faster than inflation (perhaps companies can get away with this
because tuition has risen faster than inflation) it's taken on new
dimensions.

I teach some fairly standard courses and the ideas in those courses are
not novel to whoever  writes a textbook.  Really all the person writing
the textbook is providing is a new phrasing of existing ideas (usually
even the organization of those ideas is not new) plus the paper and
glue.  My students often have to pay $120 for a very unoriginal text.  I
suspect that like many on pen-l I largely teach not-terribly-wealthy
people though of course some of my students are terribly wealthy.

(2) I've done a lot of work writing both open-source software and
documentation for open source software.  Mostly this has been in the
form of small contributions to large projects (e.g., Samba; the Linux
Network File System) though I'm also committed to helping develop the
next version of a stats package called Gretl (I'm way behind on this
work at the moment).  I'm also a co-maintainer of the Linux NFS HOW-TO.

This experience has shown that it's quite possible for several people to
collaborate on a body of work and post it on the web for free, and that
several people making small contributions can end up producing something
quite substantial and sophisticated.  And now that the internet has
gotten rid of paper-and-glue costs, it's possible to create a drop-in
replacement for commercial products.

So, for example, I have homework assignments, practice exams, and
lecture slides posted on my web site.  I expect others do as well.
(Mine are not exemplary; especially for my micro courses I'm somewhat
constrained to teach a fairly neoclassical course, though for stats,
which is less political, I feel a bit more ostentatious.)  These are
things that texbook publishers try to push on you to get you hooked into
using their particular book.

I expect that there could be great returns to coordination -- that is,
there is probably a lot of duplication of effort among us when we write
our homework assignments, lecture slides, etc.  Moreover, someone might
be able to do something like take some lecture slides that I've posted,
add real improvements to them, and send them back.

To address Doyle Saylor's point: Open-source publications can be
malleable.  For example, the Linux Documentation Project (LDP)
(www.linuxdoc.org) is a series of documents -- of highly variable
quality -- that help users negotiate the Linux operating system and
related software.  They are published under either the Open Publication
License or the Gnu GPL (there is a variant that applies to written text
rather than software).  What these licenses essentially say is that you
can use and modify and re-publish the document as long as you leave the
original copyrights and acknowledgements to the authors and license in
the text.

In practice, this works in the following way: Documents are submitted to
the LDP in a format called SGML.  It's a highly abstract markup language
that allows a document to be exported into HTML, plain text, PDF, PS,
etc. according to a template.  (Different templates can be applied to
the same SGML document to give different looks.)  Later authors can then
download the SGML version of the document and update it.

For example, some guy in Norway (whom I've never met) wrote the original
version of the Linux NFS HOWTO.  It got outdated, as these things do,
and he didn't want to update it.  (No fault of his own, he was just
doing other things in life.)  So I and two other people (whom I've never
met either) did a massive re-write of the document and then re-submitted
it and it's now published online.

In practice I think there's both a case for a fairly standard set of
books (that is, something more like the Linux HOWTOs but much longer),
and for something that's more unstructured like a wiki or a big site
with lots of links.  I think that on the one hand professors will have
some use for a work that's just handed to them because it's easy to see
the overall structure and presentation and then modify it to suit your
needs.  An open publication license would allow people to modify the
text to suit their students or views, but it would create much less
confusion and more clarity if there were a "standard" version that
people could make variations on.  (And possibly publish those variations
in an accessible way.)

On the other hand, people may be looking to submit or use very specific
things (e.g., "I have this great lecture on Taylorism") and it would be
good to provide space for that, too.

I suspect that many people on Pen-l would be willing to do something
like write or review a chapter of a textbook.  What is more challenging
is to provide all of the annoying and tedious coordination work and
maintain the website.

Also, this has a much bigger potential than the pen-l crowd.  I'm
raising it here because I know folks here have a strong commitment to
collective action and this is a project that demonstrates the rewards to
cooperative, non-hierarchical, and uncompensated production, as well as
the importance of public goods and for that matter total and utter
market failure.

It's not even specific to economics but I certainly don't have the
energy to pursue this across disciplines.  Just to start locally, see
what resources there are, and how we might improve them.

If people are interested, such a project could go in many different
directions, but I'll just raise as an example the possibility of having
15 people each volunteer to write a chapter of a stats book in the next
year.  Or another example where we create a website of "resources for
teaching xxxx" and people just submit materials.  What does anyone
think?

Sorry for the length of this post, I'd better stop....

Best,
Tavis