37 arrested Friday at Sacramento peace protest
By Dorothy Korber -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:33 p.m. PST Friday, March 21, 2003
At downtown Sacramento's federal building Friday morning, 37 anti-war demonstrators were arrested for staging a "die in" and blocking the courthouse doors. The event was peaceful, with federal security officers gently helping older protesters to their feet before placing plastic handcuffs on their wrists.
About 100 people showed up for the 9 a.m. protest, many of them dressed in black and carrying photos of Iraqi people. When a siren blared, dozens dropped to the cold marble tile and sprawled motionlessly until they were arrested.
"We are here to ask our government to stop this illegal invasion, to listen to people around the world who want peace," said Maggie Coulter, speaking through a bullhorn.
Using their own public address system, Federal Protective Services officers announced that the assembly was unlawful and asked them to disperse. No one left.

Full:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/6314611p-7268029c.html

Seth Sandronsky