Max Sawicky wrote,

>Interestingly, in the neo-conservative circles in which he runs, Ledeen is
>known not so much as an Iraq-hawk, but rather as an Iran-hawk.

Ledeen's 1985 _Grave New World_ is chock-a-block full of recrimination at what he saw
as the Carter administration's loss of Iran.
Sort of a "who lost China?" redux.Viewing the invasion of Iraq as a prelude to massive
presure on Syria, Iran and Saudi Arabia
actually makes more sense -- albeit a macabre and megalomaniacal sense -- than the
feeble WMD, 12 years is enough, Saddam is a
tyrant, al Qaeda link official justifications. Remember, the speech writers just threw
in North Korea so it wouldn't look like Bush
was singling out Islamic countries.

This farce would be funny if it wasn't so murderous. Or to torture the tragedy/farce
cliche, what would the repetition be to a
"mourning play" [trauerspiel]?

The right used to talk about overcoming the "Vietnam Syndrome", the reluctance to
resort to armed conflict. I think what Ledeen
wants to overcome could be thought of as the World War I/World War II/Hiroshima
Syndrome, the reluctance to engage in total war for
the glory of war. It will be interesting to see if our poet-warrior spends the
duration sitting on his "freedom chair" at the AEI or
if he takes up arms in middle age like his idol D'Annunzio (supposedly). I hope if he
does, he shaves his head first so we can
admire the glint of desert sun reflecting off his sublime cranium.

I'm not an expert on D'Annunzio. Ledeen is. But from reading Ledeen's account of
D'Annunzio's exploits, it strikes me that they may
well have been fictional -- sort of an earlier "tail-gunner Joe" from the days when it
would be easier to fake and harder to expose
such histrionics (or perhaps not?). In a similar vein, when I read Ledeen's September
13, 2001 NRO column "Who Killed Barbara Olson"
the prose struck me as eerily, calculatedly overwrought.

http://www.nationalreview.com/contributors/ledeen091301.shtml

Tom Walker
604 255 4812