On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Michael Hoover wrote:

> Catholic Teacher Quits Rather Than Remove Anti-War Button --A teacher at
> a Catholic high school has quit rather than remove an anti-war button
> the principal said violated the dress code.

Although to be fair, the principal who told him to take it off publicly
endorsed the anti-war position:

   I encourage teaching that (anti-war) point of view because it is a
   teaching of the church," Fusco said. I just feel a button is not a
   vehicle to teach."

But you know how Catholic schools feel about the all-importance of the
dress code:

   The principal at the 850-student boys school, Joseph Fusco, said the
   student dress code bars slogans on clothing, and the rules generally
   apply to faculty.

   Other teachers at Bergen Catholic High School had worn the red, white
   and blue buttons -- which read "War is not the answer" -- but removed
   them after administrators objected.

It should also be noted that the teacher wasn't fired, he resigned, weeks
before the war began.  At 63, he might be thinking of retiring.

full: http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2003/03/26/button/index.html

> [Principal Dr. Joseph S. Fusco's email address,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], of Bergen Catholic High School in Oradell,
> New Jersey.]

I'm sure I see what emailing the principal would accomplish.

Michael