On Saturday, April 5, 2003 at 08:49:41 (-0500) Yoshie Furuhashi writes:
>The government goes out of its way to support the positive image of
>police officers -- law enforcement is another job that working-class
>individuals may take.  Many -- perhaps the majority of -- Americans
>also uphold the positive image of cops: e.g., they are reluctant to
>condemn and convict cops.  And yet, US leftists do not take the same
>deferential attitudes to cops as they do to soldiers and veterans.
>Why is that?

Cops beat leftists regularly, soldiers don't?

I don't know about "leftists", but this assumes that the attitude
toward soldiers is "deference".  That's not what I feel, and what I
feel toward them is what I feel toward police officers.  The stance
toward them should be the same: they are both pawns, usually
non-wealthy, fed intensive propaganda, left largely ignorant of the
big picture, and placed in often dangerous situations where it is
nearly impossible to do the morally correct thing.  They should be
held responsible for their actions, but those who direct them, set the
scope of their activities, etc., deserve far, far more condemnation.

Bill