Tom Wrote:

> Or, to cite the Far-Sighted Manifesto by Francis
> Picabia, worn by André Breton on a sandwichboard:
>
>POUR QUE VOUS AIMIEZ
>QUELQUE CHOSE IL FAUT
>QUE VOUS L'AYEZ VU et ENTENDU
>DEPUIS LONGTEMPS tas D'IDIOTS

Grin. That's another rather more direct way to put it.

Of course, the targets of the criticism are different, in some respects,
I suppose.

Consumers of political debate through the commercial news media, with
its structure of time slots and fill between ad breaks, they often have
no choice. What propaganda can awaken them to the fraud around them?
(Personally, I believe it's to be found in mixing cultural conventions,
usually in a humorous way, so as the lessen the raw impact but still
keeping them engaged.)

Dada was an attempt to reflect a shattered world -- and shatter
"hegemony." The stuff out of Germany didn't have to reflect broken human
beings in any allegorical sense. Broken human beings were all over the
place -- literally broken, missing limbs, missing homes, missing lives,
missing futures. And there was a complete failure of political
ideologies.

What a time that was...

Ken.

--