I partially agree, Peter. George is generally so sensitive to power
relations and so
critical of corporate influence over "public institutions" that this "I was
wrong" article really required bizarre distortions.

I have a gut feeling that he is reacting to the rise of deglobalization
discourses, as found in Bello's and Amin's work, and I suspect that his new
book (which I haven't seen yet) punts the globo-parliament idea even more
heartily -- hence leading down the slippery slope of fix-it not nix-it
politics.

That in turn requires him to entirely avoid the obvious questions: a) what
good has come from numerous WTO reform initiatives (from AFL/ICFTU, enviros,
Cairns Group, Like-Minded Group, etc etc)?; b) what manipulations are being
carried out by the new "Green Men" (Friends of the Chair, including SA trade
minister Alec Erwin, responsible at Doha for WTO rules) who have replaced
the discredited Green Room process?; c) what are the underlying features of
international capitalism that generate both overproduction and protectionist
tendencies?; and d) how could one expect to price in the negative
environmental and social externalities of trade, as Herman Daly et al
suggest (and I guess, Peter, too), in such a politicised forum as the WTO?
Really, reform is thoroughly utopian.

Moreover, his contention that the US is trying to destroy the WTO is a
ridiculous misinterpretation. Zoellick will use the WTO when he can to
defend US corporate interests (e.g. Big Pharma); and he will also set up
bilaterals and hemispheric deals when he can (we're seeing this now with
Africa).

So I'm back with Keynes on that 1933 Yale Review citation that Daly likes:
"let goods be homespun whenever reasonably and conveniently possible".
Comrades, let's globalise people, not capital...

Was debating this in Ottawa with public choice poli-scientists from
Harvard/Columbia/Bonn last week: their ancient line -- "commerce makes the
manners mild" -- is contradicted by many variants of export-oriented output
in this part of the world (oil, diamonds, coltan, gold, timber). I'm
convinced we need a profound shock to the global trading system, on the
order of the payments freeze and transport crises of 1929-45, to allow for a
bit more sanity and balance in the restructuring of economies, and for
peace-building, at least in Africa.

Patrick Bond
phone: (27)83-425-1401 and (27)11-614-8088
fax: (27)11-484-2729