F A C I N G   S O U T H

A progressive Southern news report

July 3, 2003 * Issue 54

Published by the Institute for Southern Studies and Southern Exposure magazine.
Visit www.southernstudies.org/support.asp to join today!
 _____

IN THIS ISSUE OF FACING SOUTH:
> INSTITUTE INDEX * Credibility problems
> DATELINE: THE SOUTH * News Around the Region
> PERSPECTIVE: DECLARATIONS OF INDEPENDENCE (quotes)
> PERSPECTIVE: FREDRICK DOUGLASS: The Meaning of July 4 for the Negro (excerpt)
 _____

INSTITUTE INDEX * Credibility problems

Percent in U.S. who think Bush "stretched the truth" or made "false" statements about
Iraq weapons: 62
Percent who say they don't trust corporations to give them honest information: 57
Number of U.S. troops that have died since the Iraq war "ended" on May 1: 63
Number this averages to a day: 1
Amount that Bush budget would cut monthly pay to families of soldiers in combat: $300
Amount of tax breaks in Bush's budget for those making $1 million or more a year:
$88,300
Cost of U.S. occupation of Iraq each month, in billions: $3
Amount of Southern taxpayer money this year that will go towards military budget, in
billions: $86

Sources on file at the Institute for Southern Studies.
 _____

DATELINE: THE SOUTH * News Around the Region

ADVOCATES LAUNCH "DECLARATION OF ENERGY INDEPENDENCE"
Two broad coalitions of environmental, labor and consumer advocacy organizations --
the Apollo Project and the Energy Future Coalition -- have launched campaigns to slash
America's dependence on oil by a third in 25 years, and create a million new jobs in
sustainable energy. (Grist Magazine, 6/30/03)
http://www.gristmagazine.com/powers/powers063003.asp

DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC
Activists in North Carolina and around the country are honoring American liberty by
organizing Bill of Rights Defense Committees that challenge the U.S. Patriot Act
through city council resolutions, and encouraging local law enforcement to not comply
with unconstitutional invasions of privacy. (Independent Weekly, 7/2)
http://www.indyweek.com/durham/current/cover.html

N. VIRGINIA MUSLIMS RAISING A VOICE IN AREA POLITICS
Muslim activists in Northern Virginia have launched a political action committee to
help elect officials who will halt what they call rights abuses associated with the
nation's war on terror. (Washington Post, 6/16)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A62875-2003Jun15?language=printer

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO HALLIBURTON
Since 9/11, Vice President Dick Cheney's old Texas energy firm Halliburton and its
subsidiaries have raked in over $2.2 billion in defense-related business. Here's where
all that money's going. (Mother Jones, 7/1)
http://motherjones.com/news/featurex/2003/28/we_455_01.html

BUSH AXES JOB INJURY REPORTING RULES
The Bush administration on Monday repealed a requirement that employers report
repetitive stress injuries. Labor unions had fought for the requirement, claiming that
tracking repetitive strain injuries, also known as ergonomic injuries, would help
provide a better understanding of injury rates and trends. (Associated Press, 6/30)
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/6205913.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

U.S. CIVIL WAR PRISON CAMPS CLAIMED THOUSANDS
Although precise figures may never be known, new historical research finds that an
estimated 56,000 men perished in Civil War prisons, a casualty rate comparable to that
of any battle during the war's bloody tenure. (National Geographic, 7/1)
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0701_030701_civilwarprisons.html

FORMER GA SENATOR BLASTS STATE OF U.S. POLITICS
Former Georgia Senator and decorated Vietnam War veteran Max Cleland, who lost his
2002 re-election bid after his challenger called him soft on Osama bin Laden, is now
decrying the nasty state of politics. Although he authorized war against Iraq, he now
thinks Bush "bamboozled" America into a needless battle. (Washington Post, 7/3)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1464-2003Jul2.html?nav=hptop_tb
 _____

PERSPECTIVE: DECLARATIONS OF INDEPENDENCE (quotes)

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they
are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments
are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the
Right of the People to alter or to abolish it."
- Declaration of Independence, signed July 4, 1776

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I hope that we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations,
which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength, and bid
defiance to the laws of our country."
- Thomas Jefferson

"All men having power should be distrusted to a certain degree."
- James Madison
 _____

PERSPECTIVE: FREDERICK DOUGLASS - The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro (excerpt)

Speech to Rochester's Corinthian Hall
July 5, 1852

What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July? I answer; a day that reveals to him,
more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is
the constant victim. To him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty, an
unholy license; your national greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are
empty and heartless; your denunciation of tyrants, brass fronted impudence; your
shouts of liberty and equality, hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons
and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade and solemnity, are, to Him, mere
bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy -- a thin veil to cover up crimes
which would disgrace a nation of savages. There is not a nation on the earth guilty of
practices more shocking and bloody than are the people of the United States, at this
very hour.

For the full text:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4h2927t.html