On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Eubulides cited the Guardian saying:

> Cotton farmers' poverty laid at door of US
>
> African leaders to challenge Bush over 'ruinous' trade practices
> Rory Carroll, Africa correspondent

One of the interesting side points that is rarely emphasized in this story
is that it's a pretty stark refutation of the idea that big, mechanized
agriculture is always more productive that small farmers.  You can't get
smaller and more labor intensive and less educated and with less
infrastructure than cotton farmers in Mali, or more mechanized than cotton
farming in the US.  And yet we need protection to keep them from eating
our lunch.

Michael