--- "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> there are two major differences that I can see in
> the US legal definition of price discrimination
> (below) and the economist's definition are
>
> 1) anti-trust law only applies to interstate
> commerce, right? thus, it wouldn't apply to a local
> business such as a movie theater.

You dpo have to prove the interstate commerce element.
But the definition of interstate commerce is quite
broad. If what happens within a state affects
interstate commerce even a teeny bit, then the
jurisdictional requirement is satisfied. It's a low
showing.

> 2) more importantly, the only kind of price
> discrimination that's illegal has "the
> effect of such discrimination may be substantially
> lessen competition or tend to create a monopoly in
> any
> line of commerce, or to injure, destroy, or prevent
> competition with any person who either grants or
> knowingly receives the benefit of such
> discrimination,
> or with customers of either of them." Not all
> "economic" price discrimination has this effect.

Right, so you can mount a defense that your price
discrimination is not harmful to competition. This is
not actually an affirmative defense. The harm to
competition is part of plaintiff's prima facie case,
meaning it's something the P has to show by a
preponderance. In antitrust law, outside of a small
class of per se violations like price fixing, where
harm to competition is presumed, you have to show that
the practice is in fact harmful to competition.

jks