I'm not either, I largely stayed away from that. The most interesting
figures from my point of view were Walter Benjamin and Erich Fromm (the
French Marxisant Michael Lowy made a study of Benjamin). The problem or
limitation here is that a lot of this type of research is theoreticist and
speculative (Left-Hegelianism), rather that experientially-based, empirical
and action-oriented. It often conveys a rather sombre picture of monumental
domination and oppression, ignoring the attempts at revolt against that,
attempts to overturn that, subvert that, change that.

Hence, the Frankfurtian implications for politics are often conservative,
rather than radicalising, feeding middleclass despair more than inciting
workingclass revolt.  In addition, in my opinion, it often confuses the
continuities and discontinuities of Western culture, which is markedly
different every new decade, i.e. the operation and use of the media is prone
to change as well. The school claims to be critical and historical, but
often isn't. Ernest Mandel maintained contact with Helmut Dahmer, but
unfortunately Dahmer's very interesting books have not been translated into
English as far as I know.

My remark about the Bush image is based on skimming the biography of Bush,
as compared to the media presentation of Bush, and the fact, that the image
of political personalities these days is shaped and changed to fit with
where the electorate and the elite is at. I consider - as I have mentioned
before - that in reality, although the American Left heavily focuses on Bush
(because of his limited public speaking ability), Bush is not even the
politically most important figure in the Bush administration, more the
"figurehead". The American Left seems to make very little attempt to relate
the rise of Bush to the social totality of American society, to political
selection processes, and explain why the circumstances of the elite might
push Bush forward and institutionalise him. Thus, in Marx's old language,
the American Left often tends to operate with an "idealist" or "mechanical
materialist" view of politics rather than a dialectical, materialist one, it
often cannot find the mediating links between objective trends and political
personalities.

Be that as it may, the Frankfurt School often offers useful heuristics, and
this is particularly evident in the writings of Jurgen Habermas (I have not
seriously studied his entire oeuvre though).

Regards

Jurriaan