>From MS SLATE's on-line summary of major US newspapers:
>While the NY [TIMES] reported yesterday that the fall of Baghdad was
aided by Iraqi turncoats, the LA [TIMES] cites another reason on Page
One this morning: the self-destruction of the Iraqi army. Citing
former Iraqi commanders and servicemen, the paper says the
military became increasingly fractured, thanks, in part, to
erratic orders from Saddam and his son, Qusay. During the final
weeks of the war, troops were ordered to reposition their tanks
every morning, and each order contradicted the one before. Iraqi
soldiers lacked maps, radios and even a game plan for how to
fight American troops--the latter because Saddam didn't think the
U.S. would make it very far in the war. "We were crippled by a
lack of imagination," one former Iraqi commander gripes.  <

Someone -- Chris Burford? -- likened Saddam to Stalin, who eventually
won due to the efforts of General Winter. But like Saddam, there was a
period when the Russian army collapsed, partly due to silly and vicious
maneuvers from above (killing generals, etc.) Unfortunately for Saddam,
his country was much smaller than the USSR, so that the enemy could
capture the capital... Of course, the US seems likely to lose the peace.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine