Revenge of the Underappreciated?
Companies That Overwork Employees May Lose Them When Economy Recovers
By Amy Joyce
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, September 14, 2003; Page F06

"I'm currently covering my own full-time job, the full-time job of a
person who left in May, the full-time job of a person on maternity leave,
the half-time job of a person who left in August. I'm also responsible for
hiring replacements for the two people who left, as well as for my own
position (I'm leaving at the end of the year). Oh, and I have no admin
support to speak of."

So goes the e-mail -- from an overflowing basket of similar e-mails -- to
Life at Work from a put-upon office worker.

People are more overworked today than they have been in years. Companies
that downsized in recent years never resized and left the existing
employees to cover everything. Companies in which employees quit are
taking their sweet time to find someone else. After all, with so many
great job candidates out there, why rush?

Actually, there should be a rush. Employers that overburden their
employees now could be in big trouble later. Those same companies that are
today taking advantage of employees -- without providing additional
incentives, or at least a little wiggle room when it comes to schedules or
much-needed vacations -- won't have a reservoir of goodwill needed when
competition for new employees heats up again, as it inevitably will.

One woman, who writes about federal policy for a D.C. company, has taken
on two jobs. A co-worker left five months ago, leaving the woman to cover
a second subject in addition to her own. Perhaps she's doing too well in
her new position, sans pay or any additional benefits other than a few
verbal thank-yous and a lot of hang-in-theres.

"I think they're just looking for the perfect fit, and I think I'm doing a
good job in the interim. So they're in less of a rush," she said. "I don't
mind hard work; I know that I'm getting a lot out of it. But I just feel
used."

She is trying to get up the gumption to tell her boss she feels overworked
and underappreciated and ask that some sort of help come her way, be it
monetary or even a temporary intern.

People are desperate, and the way companies handle today's economic
situation in regard to employees just isn't smart. It will come back to
bite many of those employers when the economy turns, according to recent
surveys and workplace experts.

Nearly half of 509 middle managers polled said they are looking for
another job or plan to do so when the economy picks up, according to a
survey released by consulting company Accenture last month. In a similar
survey conducted by the Society for Human Resource Management and
CareerJournal.com, 83 percent of more than 300 employees polled said it is
extremely likely or somewhat likely they will seek new employment once the
job market picks up.

Watch out, employers.

"There has been a shift in the workplace because of the economy and
companies needing to downsize, right-size or reorganize," said Betsy
Friedlander, a principal at Willmott & Associates Inc., a human resources
and consulting firm in the D.C. area. "More people need to be taking on
more responsibilities."

And the companies that will come out on top after all this craziness will
be the ones that, simply put, care. "The companies that have been a little
more on the forefront of a balanced work life have programs in place that
are more valuable now," she said. Those with gyms, flexible schedules and
decent vacation time are coming out on top right now, because those
overworked employees are happier, and therefore more productive. They will
also come out on top later, when more people can be hired, because the
people employed now won't want to run screaming from one office to the
more attractive one next door. "When I talk to people where they feel like
they are just being worked, and there's no recognition about this cultural
shift, they want to leave," Friedlander said.

But many are not so lucky as to be able to just hop out of a bad situation
and into a good one. That is thanks to what analysts call the "jobless"
economic recovery, which has many people, when they have time, scratching
their heads.

"Companies keep laying off and are not creating any jobs. They give the
work to the workforce and say, 'You have to get it done,' " said John A.
Challenger, chief executive of Challenger, Gray and Christmas Inc., a
Chicago-based outplacement firm. He pointed out that in every other
recession, productivity has decreased. But during the previous quarter of
this year, productivity actually jumped 7 percent. That is due in part to
technology, he believes.

"Technology adds to overworking. We're not just working 9 to 5 anymore.
When we're driving home in the expressway, we're not listening to music.
We're on the phone doing business," he said. A perfect example is from
Challenger himself. He was in Japan on business and awake at 3 a.m.
because of jet lag. Five years ago, he would have picked up a book to help
lull him to sleep, but he instead went to the work center at the hotel and
checked voice mail and e-mail. "I think part of being overworked is
there's no defined workday anymore," he said. "We're surrounded by it."

So what is it doing to us? How are we dealing with this overworked world
of which we're a part? Let Mary Graham, senior policy adviser to the
National Mental Health Association, count the ways.

"People are more overworked, and they're doing it to themselves because
they are worried about job security," said Graham, who admitted that she
falls into that category. More people have visited the association's Web
site (www.nmha.org) to download documents about anxiety. Some companies
(which will be rewarded later) have brought in speakers to talk about
stress and have called the association to ask what they can do to help
their overburdened employees.

With the Sept. 11 anniversary, terrorism warnings, war and the economy all
folding into one perfect storm, "it's a scarier time than usual," Graham
said. "People are under more stress and are working harder. And we're not
getting big raises anymore."

Perhaps what is worst of all is knowing that leaving an unpleasant job
could mean unemployment for a long time. The Department of Labor reported
last week that 93,000 jobs were slashed in August. The chance to get a job
as soon as one quits is much rarer today than five years ago. So in some
cases, it's true that employers have the upper hand. At least for now. But
it does not mean they are going to get the best work out of their
remaining employees, as much as the employees may try.

"My feeling is, in these times I'm pretty happy to just have a good job,
so I'm not sure I want to push it," said the woman who writes about
federal policy. "I still have a life outside of work, but I'm just a
little more stressed and a little more worn out than I used to be."

She is working more hours, somewhere around 60 a week now. "I know in this
town that isn't many, but to me it's a lot."

Join Amy Joyce on Tuesday from 11 a.m. to noon at washingtonpost.com for
Life at Work Live. You can e-mail her at [EMAIL PROTECTED]