>"Companies say that if nothing is done they will be forced to
>pour cash into their pensions next year."

How tragic, that way they'd be forced to create longer term growth
strategies instead of focusing on short term quarterly earnings
announcements. Or say, contribute to employee pension plans instead of
executive compensation.

>"Companies would prefer as a solution a single rate based on corporate
>bonds. Such a rate would typically be higher than one based on
Treasuries, >easing their liabilities."

Of course they would. Then, they could discount pension liabilities, at
not just a higher rate than Treasuries, but one that is arbitrarily
based on some ill-defined corporate interest rate for which there'd be
tons of room to tinker.

Corporate yield curves are less liquid than Treasuries and thus offer
more opportunities to manipulate their values. Plus, from a balance
sheet perspective, it would mean every company could effectively set
their own individual pension calculation, with no common bar across
corporate America, creating less transparency in a system that's been
proven so sorely lacking in transparency to begin with.

This measure and all prior versions of it, as I mentioned here a couple
months ago, would allow corporations to rig pensions such that the worse
the corporation performs, the less it would have to pay out in pension
liabilities.

In the process, workers would get screwed twice, once due to instability
in their current jobs and salaries resulting from poor corporate
performance, and the second time due to decreased pension payouts in the
future.

Nomi