Doug Henwood wrote:

> Oh come on. What's wrong with a little ad hominem, especially with
> such a gang of thugs? Here's a guy with every advantage in life
> handed to him - Andover, Yale, Harvard, inherited money and position
> - and he's still a provincial ignoramus. Marx never had any problem
> with making fun of his enemies.

Ignoramus is not the same as unintelligent. I had lots of ignorant
students who were by no means unintelligent. Jan worked with many
ignoramuses in the post office who were by no means unintelligent.

If he is inherently unintelligent, then he's not to blame for it, and
it's not the proper focus for making fun of him.

When we think judge someone to be ignorant what we're apt to be saying
is that they don't have the same knowledge _we_ do (and we may not be
competent to judge them in the areas where they are _not_ ignorant.

Is Tony Soprano an ignoramus?

Marx & Engels make fun of Duhring for his arrogance more than for his
lack of brain power.

And we are all pretty ignorant of where brain power itself comes from.
(Unless we happen to be one of the authors of The Bell Curve.)

Carrol