On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Eugene Coyle wrote:

> I thought the Allan Barra piece was pretty good, till I got to this
> sentence near the end:
>
> > Rush Limbaugh didn't say Donovan McNabb was a bad quarterback because
> > he is black. He said that the media have overrated McNabb because he
> > is black, and Limbaugh is right.

You're exactly right Eugene, you put your finger on exactly where he went
too far.  Part of why McNabb is overrated might be because he's black.
But a lot of it, and maybe most of it, is surely simply because he was a
superstar in college, he's paid a lot, the fans like him personally and
his team wins.

Barra should have said Limbaugh's argument was plausible rather than that
it was right.

Still with my optimist's hat on, I have to say: it cheers me up even more
that Limbaugh's been piloried if what he says isn't outrageous.  I want
conservatives to get really worked up over the unfairness of it.  Because
then they'll just feel compelled to throw themselves on the electric fence
again.

Michael