From: PEN-L list [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jurriaan
Bendien
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 7:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L] Quote du Jour: Paul Bremer on economic justice

"I have to say that it is curious to me to have a country [like Iraq -
JB]
whose per capita income, GDP, is about $800 ... that a county that poor
should be required to pay reparations to countries whose per capita GDP
is a
factor of 10 times that for a war which all of the Iraqis who are now in
government opposed"

- Paul Bremer (in reply to a question whether, given Iraq's weakened
economic condition, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia would accept a delay in the
compensation payments related to Hussein's invasion - the external debt
of
Iraq is currently estimated at US$100 billion)

Source:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/9E792DC7-A1AD-4AC1-A291-D92E26178
F52.
htm