I wrote a little comment on Michael Albert's Parecon
as a reading interrogation for a class. We, the
students, had a teleconference with Albert, in which
the problem of allocation appeared as the critical
issue of his propposal. Here are my brief comments:

--------------------------------------
Michael Albert’s “Participatory Economics” and the
problem of allocation

Michael Albert’s whole proposal of Parecon
(Participatory Economics) suffers from what I believe
are serious and insurmountable defects, among which
the solution to the problem of allocation appears as
the decisive one. Albert’s Economics –a very
misfortunate word, as long as Economics is the name of
the official discipline that is supposed to study ‘the
economy’– is conducted by workers and consumers; the
workers create the ‘social product’ and the consumers
‘enjoy’ it. The evanescent exchange of a commodity for
money in the capitalist market is supplanted for a
‘decentralized participatory planning’ through
councils of workers and consumers, in which an
‘indicative price’ is achieved through subsequent
iteration of proposal of councils, at different levels
of “social aggregation”. Let us concede –just for
critical purposes– that the entire set of Albert’s
extremely loose concepts and assumptions are right
until the participatory planning. Let us assume an
economy (or economics?) in transition with
workers–consumers decided to jump from a market
economy to a participatory planning in, let’s say,
year 0. Following Albert’s social engineering, workers
and consumers would develop a first proposal ‘using
last year’s final prices as starting indicators of
social costs and benefits’ (p. 125). Here we have two
alternatives: (i) the society develops, for all the
commodities of the economy, a huge vector with the
initial (artificial) prices that better represent some
measure of ‘social costs and benefits’; (ii) the
society let the planning iteration to take place based
in the old capitalist-market price system. If the
society chooses the first system and we assume that
the decentralized planning works well: will the
subsequent prices depend on the first prices centrally
assigned (and, of course, on the method of price
calculus)? If the society chooses the second system,
and assuming also that the decentralized planning
works well: is there anything that assures that the
prices are going to reflect the so-called “social
costs and benefits”, whatever they are?

But this is not the main problem with Albert’s
allocation. Once the society decides the system of
initial pricing, the iterative planning starts. The
day 1 of year 0 the workers-consumers has to make
their first proposal. There is no need of "Economics
of Information" to realize that the system faces an
enormous "asymmetry of information" (the workers have
much more information about their products than the
consumers) and that the set of decision of the
consumers are big enough to paralyze the best trained
shop-aholic –even if the society chooses the
abovementioned first option. Summing up: we have two
‘actors’ that have to reach a ‘consensus’ on the
prices of the commodities: the worker is very well
informed and has a very limited –if not unitary– set
of decision, whereas the consumer has a very poor
information that worsens vis-à-vis the size of the
decision set of consumption. The final question is:
what would assure that the system would not collapse
the very first day of implementation?

Internet GRATIS es Yahoo! Conexión
4004-1010 desde Buenos Aires. Usuario: yahoo; contraseña: yahoo
Más ciudades: http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar