>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/02/03 8:34 AM >>>
One of the titles of a chapter in Michael Moore's new book is "Death to
Horatio Alger." His premise is that just the dream of someday becoming
rich undermines class solidarity. It really is the all-American dream,
the "rags-to-riches" story.
Troy

"Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
york apartment responded that his blue->>>>collar ex-neighbours (in
clint michigan) would be proud and happy for him. perhaps.

>>>me:
>>>On the Left, it used to be said that "nothing is >>>too good for the
working class." This applied to >>>folks who had escaped that class,
too. Absent an >>>immediate revolution, who wouldn't want to escape?

>>Carrol:
>>Yes and no. There was a phrase among british workers, "bloody
jump-ups."

>yup. the (partial) escape from the working class also >tends to
undermine working-class solidarity (and this >isn't the only case where
individual interest >conflicts with class interest). Somewhere in
CAPITAL >vol. III, Marx writes how capitalism is
>stabilized if it can recruit the best & the brightest >from the working
class into its fold.
>Jim

the working class can kiss my ass, i've got the foreman's job at last...
  michael hoover